Saturday, January 12, 2013

Orange Starfish


Orange Starfish
8x8
Watercolor on Paper

I learned a lesson this week.  It's impossible for this busy girl to complete 30 paintings in 30 days.  Let's be real here.  I gave it my best shot but with a full-time job, two small boys, and having a husband in real estate school this week, I just couldn't make the time for painting...as much as I wanted to.  And on top of that, I felt like I was rushing my work.  I was just throwing together some pieces to get something done, which lead to lower quality pieces.  As much as I'd love to finish a painting a day, it just isn't possible right now.  Sorry folks!  I will keep submitting my paintings this month to Leslie's challenge through.  I'm going to try to get as many done as possible - even if I can't meet the daily painting goal.

Now that I got that confession off my chest, let's talk about the painting.  This orange starfish was drawn over a couple nights - adding the color was the fun part!  One thing I love about watercolor is working with negative space.  I loved painting all of the little triangles and squares in this piece.  So fun! The photo below was taken as it was in progress.

I hope you all are having a wonderful weekend!  Happy painting!





6 comments:

  1. i love your starfish and your art and look forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should do what you can, and just enjoy the process and the beautiful work you have already created. The important part is the painting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent piece, Heather...this looks like a challenge!!!! I, also, think you should paint what you can and not worry about the challenge...I know I couldn't do it...but I love to see everyone's work....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the encouraging comments guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the starfish! The negative space is great, creates great texture. Am very jealous of watercolour-ists!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this painting. I agree with Claire, i find watercolour very difficult.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...